CHOCOLATE DIPPED ITALIAN BUTTER COOKIES
If the dough seems to stiff to pipe out, add a few tablespoons of milk to the dough.
Serves: Makes 2-3 dozen cookies, depending on how large the cookies are made to be.
- 1 C. Salted Butter, softened
- ½ C. Sugar
- ⅓ C. Powdered Sugar
- 2 Eggs + 1 Egg Yolk
- 1½ t. Vanilla
- 2½ C. Flour
- ¼ t. Salt
- ½ t. Baking Powder
- 1½-2 C. Dark Chocolate, melted
- Chocolate Curls
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line two baking sheets with parchment or non-stick mats.
- Add butter and sugars to the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment and beat until smooth, creamy and fluffy, about 3 minutes.
- Add the egg and vanilla and beat until combined.
- In a mixing bowl, whisk the flour, salt, and baking powder together and add to the butter mixture. Mix together until just combined.
- Scoop dough into a large piping bag fitted with a large star tip.
- Pipe strips of dough out onto prepared sheets. To make them as pictured, tilt the tip down while piping it out and slowly bring it to a 45 degree angle as you pipe,so that the tip of the cookie is slightly curled under.
- Bake cookies for 10-12 minutes or until the edges just look golden.
- Cool on a wire rack.
- When the cookies are cool, dip the tips in melted chocolate, and place on parchment paper to set. Sprinkle chocolate curls over the chocolate dipped cookies, if desired, but make sure to wait until the chocolate is no longer warm, but has not hardened.